The notification of the rules and regulations are written for the purpose of preparation and to ensure a straightforward and objective competition in all participating regions during Bols Around the World. It will serve as a guideline for contenders and judges all over the world and safeguard the honesty and openness of the competition.
Bols Around the World 2019: BEST BAR TEAM EDITION
In 2007, Lucas Bols launched its first Bols Around the World competition - a bartender competition that attracts thousands of bartenders from all over the world. In 2019, Bols Around the World will be celebrating its 10th edition. In order to celebrate a decade of BATW, the 2019 competition will be shifted towards cocktail bar teams instead of individual bartenders.
Beginning 7th January 2019, competing bar teams will be challenged to:
- Recipe – Create a unique cocktail recipe using one or more brands from the Lucas Bols Global Portfolio (Bols Genever, Bols Liqueurs, Bols Vodka, Damrak Gin, Galliano, Passoa, Vaccari)
- Product – Ensure the Lucas Bols product(s) is available at your bar
- Concept – Develop a unique concept around the presentation of your cocktail
- Video – Film a 1-2 minute video of your bar team bringing your cocktail and concept to life, showcasing your bar team’s skills and personality. Do not use any music that infringes copyright law as your video might be shared.
- Menu Placement – Make your cocktail available to order at your bar for minimum 4 weeks. No need to change your permanent menu (but you can if you want!). Instead, you can include the cocktail on a temporary menu for 4 weeks (specials menu, chalkboard menu, etc.).
The regional winners will be flown to Amsterdam to compete in the Grande Finale and live the Lucas Bols Amsterdam Experience. The winning bar team will receive a trip for up to 3 members of their bar team (see more details under the “Grand Prize” section).
Entry Guidelines (all below dates subject to change)
- Participants must be of legal drinking age in the country where they currently reside.
- Participants are only allowed to submit one entry per bar team.
- Participants will represent the country in which they are currently residing.
- Entries should be submitted via the Bols Around the World website only, entries via email, post, or smoke signals will not be permitted.
- Drink names including rude, lurid, or sexual worlds or words associated with narcotics are prohibited.
- The Bols Around the World website (www.bolsaroundtheworld.com) will be live for registration on 19th October 2018.
- Submissions will be accepted between 12:01AM (CET) on 7th January 2019 and 11:59PM (CET) on 4th February 2019.
- Submission portal will be closed 5th February 2019.
- Each submission must include the following, if not included, entries will not proceed to judging rounds:
- Cocktail recipe
- Creative concept description
- Link to bar team video
- Photo of cocktail
- Photo of bar menu
- There will only be one round of competition consisting of submissions.
- Submissions will go through two rounds of judging: Round 1 by the Lucas Bols Global team (February 2019), Round 2 by Industry Icons (March 2019), to select one finalist bar team per region
- Regional finalists will be announced by 11:59PM (CET) on 22nd March 2019
- The region winners for Bols Around The World 2016/2017 cannot compete during the following year in Bols Around the World 2019.
- Competitions like Bols Around the World promote the global bartending community; it is all about having fun and being a good sport.
- Rude lurid sexual words and/or offensive expressions will lead to immediate disqualification.
- We take health and safety seriously, hazardous bartending that jeopardizes guests and or colleagues is not allowed in this competition.
- The rules and regulations are established to ensure a fair, educational, and exciting competition; any attempt to cheat underlined rules may result in disqualification and expulsion from the competition.
- All rules and guidelines are subject to change at the discretion of the organization, nothing will change without informing all competing bartenders and judges involved.
- If you have a question please check the frequently asked questions (FAQ) section. If your question is not listed there, send your question to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By entering this competition, contenders agree to assign copyright of their recipe, photographs, video clip, and drink name to the competition organizers
- Contenders and drinks presented during the competition may be photographed (still or motion picture) by the organizer and copyright of these images for any use, including advertising, will be retained by the competition organizers.
Cocktail Recipe & Creative Concept
Recipes must comply with the following Recipe submission guidelines:
- Recipes must include a minimum of 30ml / 1 oz of one of the following Lucas Bols Global Portfolio products: Bols Genever (Original, Barrel Aged, BG 21), Bols Liqueurs (any), Bols Vodka, Damrak Gin, Galliano (L’Autentico, l’Aperitivo, Ristretto, Vanilla, Amaretto), Vaccari (White, Nero), Passoa
- Description of your cocktail and the creative concept behind it in maximum 200 words
- Use as many other ingredients as necessary, however as you will be recreating your cocktail in the finale, please ensure any ingredients can be sourced in the Netherlands or brought to Amsterdam from your country of residency
- Homemade syrups are permitted, however, we need to be able to replicate it and therefore need a recipe and description (‘secret formula XYZ’ is not allowed)
- Aging of cocktails and / or spirits is allowed, however an aging log and / or description of taste is required
- Any adjustments to ingredients and / or garnishes prior to use need to be described
- Make sure your ingredients are well defined in correct measurements. Recipes entered must be expressed in milliliters or fluid ounces with the use of ‘dashes’ and / or ‘drops’ limited to bitters, hot pepper sauce, etc. Fruit quantities must also be stipulated (e.g. ‘squeeze of lime’ is unacceptable)
- You are not allowed to use live animals or live insects as garnish
- The recipe can be served in any serving vessel, however, you must bring this vessel to Amsterdam if your bar team is chosen as a finalist
- Upload a photo of your cocktail
- Upload a photo of menu placement
- Be as creative as you want!
Bar Team Video
Videos must comply with the following Video submission guidelines:
- Must be no more than 2 minutes in length
- Do not use any music that infringes copyright law as your video might be shared.
- Editing allowed to include bartenders, cocktail name & ingredients
- Showcase bar team in action as well as creative concept
- Showcase the Lucas Bols Global brand(s) used in recipe
- Post video to at least one social media channel and include hashtags:
Entries will go through 2 rounds of judging:
- Round 1 – Lucas Bols Global team:
- Round 2 – Industry Icons: Alex Kratena, Boudewijn Mesritz/Lydia Soedadi, Steve Schneider
- Each icon will be responsible for 2 regions (regions for each icon TBD)
The top 10 bar team submissions from each region will progress to the 2 nd round judging by industry icons.
Entries will not proceed to the judging rounds if submission checklist is incomplete (see clause 9 under “Entry Guidelines”).
30% Cocktail recipe:
- Did you create a cocktail recipe that includes a unique presentation, is fluid with current trends and yet is still practical to make?
- Does the recipe include at least 30mL or 1oz of a Lucas Bols Global brand?
- Does it have a pleasing aroma, mouthwatering taste, and well-balanced finish?
- Would a guest be interested in this cocktail even without the presentation?
35% Creative Concept:
- How creative did you get with your concept?
- Did you think through the little details for both your recipe and video?
- Applied creativity can include your cocktail ingredients, your bar techniques, the cocktail presentation itself and overall innovation for guest service.
- We encourage you to get as creative as possible within the competition guidelines.
35% Bar Team Video:
- Does your video showcase your cocktail made by your bar team in a fun and entertaining fashion?
- Does it create a memorable experience for your guests when served?
- Have you followed the guidelines and posted the video to social media?
- Please note that the video will be scored on the content, not the video quality.
There will be 1 finalist bar team per region, a total of 6 regions.
- North America
- Eastern & Central Europe
- Western Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South & Central America
- Africa & Middle East
The grand prize will be a bar team trip (for max 3 people) to one of the following cities: Berlin, CapeTown, Dubai, London, Mexico City, Moscow, New York, Tokyo.
The maximum amount covered by Lucas Bols will be €15,000, any overspend will need to be covered by the winners (i.e. if winners want to stay at a luxury hotel that costs €12,000, they will only have €3,000 Additional to spend. Overspend will need to be covered by the winners). Lucas Bols will assist with booking/planning the trip in conjunction with the winners. Suggestion for choice of destination will be provided by Lucas Bols to maximize allocation of the funds and length of trip.
The bar team regional finalists (2-3 people per team) will be invited to Amsterdam for the Grand Finale.
- Judges will score based on judging criteria outlined above
During the finals, you will have the opportunity to showcase your cocktail and creative concept in one of the 6 bars on the “Bols Cocktail Street” in the heart of Amsterdam.
The Grand Finale will be judged by the Bols Genever Iconic Team who will decide who will be the Bols Around the World bar team champions of 2019.
Guidelines for finalists will be shared March 2019.